It’s still patio season! We’ve had a blast at summer gatherings– with fireflies glowing and cicadas humming. Now it’s time to enjoy fire pits and other hardscaping features that make patio life even more enjoyable. But how do you keep the non-living elements of your landscape looking their best? Even when you take excellent care of your hardscapes, weather, wear and tear, weeds and insects can take a toll. But don’t stress. Your outdoor spaces are meant to be enjoyed. Use them, have fun with them and soak up family time outside. With proper cleaning and maintenance, you can enjoy your hardscape for years to come.
How Should I Clean My Hardscape?
After a summer of fun, professional deep cleaning in the fall is an excellent choice. A professional power wash clears up discoloration, stains, and dirt. It’s best to outsource the power wash so you don’t damage the pavers. The pros know how to apply enough pressure to do the job without overdoing it and damaging your hardscape. Then you can gently clean as needed, including:
- Clean stains and spills as they happen.
- Sweep regularly to clear dirt and leaves.
- Clean with soap and water every few weeks.
- Remove weeds to keep your pavers looking great and prevent cracks.
- Manage ants and insects if they appear between your pavers.
Maintaining My Hardscape
In addition to keeping your hardscape clean, essential maintenance can extend the life of your patio, walkways, and other features. Some practices to remember include:
- Patios and walkways: check for signs of cracking, erosion, and damage to pavers. Replenish sand between the joints. Repair any damaged pavers. If your pavers are sealed, look for any wear and tear and reseal them as needed.
- Retaining walls: check for cracks and pull any weeds. Make sure outlets for water runoff are clear to avoid pressure buildup.
- Water features: test the pump, electrical connections, and nozzles early in the season and throughout the summer.
Is It Time To Upgrade My Hardscape?
Outdoor entertaining got a massive boost in the last year, and many folks just aren’t going back inside. So it’s more important than ever to have an appealing yard. Hardscaping plays a significant role in making outdoor spaces welcoming. And when it’s done right, it complements your lawn and landscape perfectly. Popular choices include:
- Stunning and welcoming patios in a range of materials from brick to flagstone to concrete pavers.
- Beautiful and functional walkways
- Stone or concrete retaining walls that stop erosion while giving your landscape a polished look.
- Firepits and outdoor fireplaces for warm and welcoming gatherings all year round.
- Water features including fountains and koi ponds.
Designing and Maintaining The Perfect Hardscape With Epling
Hardscaping is a long-term investment. It’s less fluid than landscaping and a bigger commitment. You want to make sure it’s well-installed from the outset and well-maintained for optimal enjoyment. Epling Landscaping and Lawn Services’ skilled team has decades of experience creating hardscapes that enhance your outdoor space. We design our hardscapes to work perfectly with your lawn and landscape. And every look is tailored to your needs and your space. We can also help with cleaning and maintenance as needed to help you achieve and enjoy your perfect year-round yard.