Is your new year’s resolution a lush, attractive landscape? Are you craving a welcoming yard that you never want to leave this spring and summer? Looks are a huge part of what we’re going for when we think about our outdoor spaces. But let’s look below the surface. Healthy soil, grass, and plants are at the heart of a gorgeous landscape. Focusing on a healthy landscape pays with curb appeal and is better for the environment and your family’s well-being.
How Can I Promote A Healthy Landscape?
A healthy landscape is a beautiful landscape. It starts with a solid foundation and careful choices.
- Choose plants wisely. Instead of focusing on looks alone, make thoughtful, informed decisions about which plants will thrive in every location. Do your homework and plan ahead.
- Plant with care. Choose each plant and tree thoughtfully, considering soil, sun, shade, and location. Remember to research how much room larger shrubs and trees will need at full growth.
- Take care of your soil. Healthy soil is at the root of any healthy lawn. Make sure your soil’s pH levels and nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus are on target. Use fertilizers carefully and only as needed.
- Mulch correctly. Learn how, when, and where to apply mulch for plant health. Use the right type of mulch for each job.
- Remove debris and dead leaves to keep pests and diseases at bay.
- Watch out for insects and other pests and use pesticides with caution.
- Water and irrigate thoughtfully, taking into account community water resources and the needs of your landscape. Avoid overwatering, and consider a timed irrigation system to save water and give your plants exactly what they need.
Can A Professional Landscaper Help Me Achieve a Healthy Lawn?
There are some areas where working with the pros makes sense. Many consumers can DIY some of their landscaping tasks. But the more complex and costly elements need a professional touch. A professional lawn can make a big difference in the following:
- Plant selection: A professional landscaping team knows which plants will grow best in every location in your yard. Their experience also gives them the vision to plan for every tree and shrub at its full growth. Your landscaper can help you get a look you’ll love while making sure that every plant is right for your outdoor space. Pros can also help with functional issues, like choosing the best plants, shrubs or trees for a windbreak, privacy, and shade.
- Lawn care: gorgeous grass is all about healthy soil. That means managing pH balance and nutrients. Lawn care is more than just mowing: it’s a science. A professional landscaping team has the knowledge to do it right and can identify and fix problems, including pests and disease. Your landscaper will test the soil regularly to get a sense of when and how much to “weed and feed”. Recycling grass clippings with a professional mower can also reduce the need for fertilizer.
- Tree care: even if you know how to use a chainsaw, tree care can be dangerous to DIY. Pruning and managing trees requires skill and experience. Trees are valuable and hard to replace. If you make a mistake in your efforts to do it yourself, it can be devastating and costly. Calling the pros gives you assurances of a job well done on a precious landscaping element.
- Hardscaping is another long-term investment that requires skill. If you’re investing in materials for walkways and patios, you want them to look fantastic and last for years to come. Many consumers learn the hard way that botched DIY jobs, trying to save on labor costs, are a big waste of money. A professional landscaping team has the design skills and technical experience needed for installation.
Plan Ahead for a Healthy Landscape
Those warm spring days when the grass starts growing and flowers start blooming are around the corner. Are you dreaming of adding color, depth, and fun features to your landscape for spring? Winter is a perfect time to find a landscaping partner and start making plans. Epling Landscaping & Lawn Service has a top-notch team of lawn and landscape specialists and a range of services to promote a healthy lawn:
- Our complete lawn care program covers fertilization, weed control, lime, and insect management. We ensure just the right nutrients and pH balance to keep your lawn healthy and lush.
- Landscape design services focus on trees, shrubs, flowers, and other gorgeous features. We also offer seasonal color rotation with stunning annuals for each season.
- Total landscape care keeps landscaped areas, including ornamental grasses and shrubs, healthy and beautiful.
- Hardscape design extends and enhances your outdoor spaces with walkways, patios, and firepits.
Many of us are making resolutions for better health each year. Let’s extend that commitment to our lawn and landscape. Working together, we can make this spring and summer the most enjoyable yet. Reach out to Epling and let’s talk about what you have in mind. Then you can decide if you need some help or want to tackle it on your own.