Does anyone else have the feeling winter isn’t done with us yet? We know the groundhog saw his shadow. But as always, landscapers are optimistically looking ahead. We’ve got spring on our minds, with so many stunning annuals. Plus, we are introducing planter design services. If you haven’t considered planters, let’s talk. They’re like art for your yard and create a stellar dramatic effect. Planters provide the perfect showcase for a seasonal color program that allows you to change annuals throughout the year, both in planters and in the ground.
How Can Planters Enhance My Landscape?
There’s so much to love about planters. They’re versatile and easy to adapt to whatever you’re in the mood for. Here are just a few reasons they’re one of our favorite landscape elements:
- They make it easy to add flair and change seasonal colors and themes, from holiday evergreens to bright spring flowers.
- They’re a perfect addition to hardscaping features, bringing color and vibrance to patios and walkways.
- They bring symmetry to your outdoor spaces, with repeating shapes and sizes.
- We can also shake things up with different styles, adding fun and whimsy to your landscape.
- They help take advantage of vertical space, making the most of whatever size yard you have. You don’t need a huge yard to do amazing things.
- They draw attention to features you want to highlight and brighten gathering spaces.
- On the flip side, they’re an ideal solution for covering up irregular or unsightly exterior features.
- You can have flowers where you would not be able to otherwise. Such as planters on the deck where deer can’t reach them. Or you can place the planters in pockets of sunlight in an otherwise shaded location.
What Types of Planters Are Available?
The possibilities in planter design are endless, offering large and small sizes and contemporary and classic looks. Your choice will depend on your budget, where you’re using the planter, and what plants you choose. A professional designer can help you create the perfect look. Options include:
- Classic terra cotta
- Plastic planters that look just like natural materials
- Warm, inviting wood
- Durable, lightweight polystyrene foam, also designed to imitate classic materials
- Sturdy concrete
- Weather-resistant fiberglass
- Metal, including both contemporary and vintage styles
- Gorgeous glazed ceramic
What Can I Grow In Planters?
There are so many options for making the most of planters. Some of our favorites include:
- Small decorative trees
- Ornamental grasses
- Ferns and succulents
- Ornamental cabbages and kale
- Lovely colorful annuals that you can change for each season
- Ornamental but also edible flowers, herbs, and veggies
Which Spring Annuals Are Trending for 2021?
We are so excited to expand our seasonal color program. We’ll be switching out colorful annuals both in planters and in the ground to hit just the right note for every season. For now, we’re thinking of spring, of course. Here are some of the trends we’re watching:
- After a snowy winter, we’re ready for color. We’re in love with the brilliant burgundies, delicate oranges, soft yellows, hot pinks and vibrant purples that are trending this year.
- Classic spring annuals include star-like phlox, traditional petunias, charming vinca and beautiful begonias.
- Some of our new favorites include calibrachoa (also called million-bells or trailing petunias) and trendy, adorable cosmos.
We’d love to hear more about what you love and your dreams for spring.
How Can My Landscaper Help With Planter Design and Seasonal Color?
Planters can add so much to your landscape, but making them pop takes design skill. A professional landscaping team can help you wade through a world of choices and get the exact look you want. Here are some questions to consider:
- What type of planter should I choose? Do I want a traditional or contemporary look?
- What type of planter will best suit the plants I have in mind?
- How can I achieve a harmonious and creative mix of plants and flowers?
- How many plants should I select for each planter? The sweet spot is not too crowded but not too sparse, which can be hard to achieve without a trained eye.
- What should I include to vary the height of the elements in my planters?
- What type of soil and how much do I need for healthy, gorgeous plants in a planter?
At Epling Landscaping and Lawn Services, we’re thrilled about our enhanced seasonal color program and the addition of planter design services. Our new design specialist is incredibly talented and has years of experience. Planter design is just one more way the Epling team can help you get stunning results for your landscape all year long.