Can you feel it? March means subtle hints of spring in the air as the days slowly get longer. We just can’t wait, and we know many of you feel the same. What are your favorite things about spring and summer? For us, warm weather and outdoor entertaining top the list. The very best feeling is when you have an outdoor space that makes you want to spend every possible moment outside. But let’s face it: this winter has been a damp, dreary, muddy mess. Maybe it’s taken a toll on your patio or the sidewalks and driveways that welcome friends and family to your home. If your hardscaping is dirty and grimy or cracked and uneven, it’s time for a refresh to create outdoor spaces that are safe and inviting. Late winter/early spring is the perfect time to touch up or repair your hardscape. And you may not know it, but the best team to do the job is often your landscaper.
How Can I Refresh My Stone or Brick Hardscaping?
Stone or brick pavers are a favorite for patios, walkways, and driveways. They have an elegant look and feel perfect underfoot. But if you don’t keep up with maintenance, they can become grimy and slippery or uneven and dangerous. Here are some essential elements to consider when rehabbing your patio:
- Cleaning with a pressure washer removes stains, grime, and algae. It’s a task to tackle every spring.
- Sanding: Applying fresh hardscaping sand between pavers keeps them stable and looking great. A professional application means a clean, even look.
- Sealing: Sealing or resealing with polyurethane offers protection against the elements, including sun and water damage. It also fights stains, makes your surface easier to clean and prevents mold, mildew, and algae from building up. A professional spray application gives your hardscaping a gorgeous, glossy look without being slippery.
- Repairing: If your patio has uneven stones or bricks, it can be dangerous as well as unattractive. We’ll remove uneven pavers and pack with sand to create a level surface and repair any cracks, then add a coat of poly to make it look fantastic.
- Redesign: a hardscaping rehab means a chance to rethink your layout and materials. Many clients are moving from a square or rectangular shape to a more contemporary curvy shape. We’re also having lots of fun with new materials, including slate and light or colored bricks. The possibilities are endless.
- Enhancements: revamping your patio is a perfect opportunity to add a firepit for entertaining and family time or put in new outdoor lighting for appearance and safety.
Refreshing Your Patio with Landscaping Elements
Combining gorgeous landscaping with updated hardscaping is one of our absolute favorite projects. Creating a harmonious blend using pavers and plants can make your yard inviting and a pleasure to spend time in. Choosing the right landscaping for your patio can enhance both privacy and beauty. Some of our “go-to” elements include:
- Mulch borders create a clean break between patio and lawn.
- Verdant shrubs enhance privacy and make an attractive border.
- Gorgeous flowers and plants create a lush, welcoming look, whether you’re craving a French farmhouse style with lavender and hydrangeas or a more exotic look with succulents. The possibilities are endless.
Get the Perfect Patio with Epling
Attractive and functional hardscaping is one of the biggest and best trends in landscaping today, whether it’s new construction or renovation. And here’s something you may not know: the team at Epling Landscaping and Lawn Care are hardscaping pros. Our skilled crew understands that hardscaping, from patios to walkways to driveways, isn’t a separate element from your landscape but an integral part of it. When we design or renovate a hardscape, we always do it with both function and aesthetics in mind. We do every project with a focus on making your hardscape fit with the rest of your yard, creating a safe environment and an inviting feel. With a new or renovated hardscape by Epling, warmer weather can’t get here soon enough.